Calling fun-loving folk and community groups! Come to the lovely township of Mitta and enjoy these fun, participation based events on lovely, easy flowing water around the township of Mitta. Held well below the wildwater course, they are ideal for all abilities and craft (sit ons, plastics, canoes, touring kayaks as well as racing boats). You don’t have to be in a canoe club to be involved and we have lots of prizes. Encourage your family and friends join as well!
About the Festival
The Mitta Mitta Paddling Festival is an initiative created by River Racing Australia, an affiliated club of Paddle NSW and Paddle VIC that was awarded the rights to organise and run the 2020 Paddle Australia Wildwater Canoeing Championships.
The committee of River Racing Australia saw this as a unique opportunity to engage paddlers of all abilities: from team members seeking selection through to the local community, family and friends just wishing to enjoy the lovely river.
The Mitta Mitta Paddling Festival will be River Racing Australia’s major fundraising event this year, commencing on the 13th December and concluding on the 16th December 2019. It is hoped that the paddling community will come and supports what will be a fun filled 4 days of paddling for all skill levels, so that we can continue to provide valuable financial support to many Australia wildwater canoeing representatives.
The first two days of the Festival will involve individual and team racing as part of the 2020 PA Wildwater Canoeing National Championships. Spectators can witness our best wildwater racers in the country taking on the challenge of the Grade 4 Whitewater on the renowned Sharks Tooth Rapid. These events are the Australian championship titles for 2020 and also double up as selection events for next year’s PA Wildwater Canoeing Team, so you will see competitive racing at its best as our many athletes strive for national selection.
On Sunday and Monday, to further enhance the paddling experience for a range of paddlers, the committee has organised a number of shorter river races on the easier water right in Mitta Mitta township.
There will be an individual and teams based sprint competition and also a 3-4 kilometre classic individual and teams based event. This means that everyone will be able to enjoy the concept of racing in the high-level formats but on much easier flowing river water.
The committee believes that engaging our younger school people and other club and community members in this easier format of paddling, while having a number of our elite wildwater paddlers also competing and lending a hand to the newer paddlers, will hopefully inspire many of them to want to progress in the sport to the more difficult wildwater racing.
Friday 13th December, Saturday 14th December & Sunday 15th December
Events will take place as part of the 2020 PA Wildwater Canoeing National Championships.
Sunday 15th December – Community FUN Paddle & Mitta Challenge River Race
A lovely flowing section of the Mitta River. No rapids as it is below the wildwater
course. The distance is 13 km starting from the Witches Garden and finishing in the
township of Mitta.
- Suitable for all abilities and craft (sit ons, plastics, canoes, touring kayaks)
- Fantastic spot prizes
- With fantastic support from the Mitta Pub, we have $2000 in prize money for the Mitta Challenge River Race. This will be spread over men, women, masters and juniors.
Monday 16th December – the Classic and Mitta sprints
The Classic will be approximately 4km on a stretch of water around the township of Mitta Mitta. The schools sprint & community FUN sprint will be approximately 300 metres near the Caravan Park.
1. Community & club classic and teams
2. National Schools Downriver championships and teams
3. Community & club sprint and teams
4. National Schools Downriver sprints and teams
- A teams event will be included for the above in which 3 boats paddle together to record a time. This is open to all craft and abilities and always a lot of fun!
- Fantastic spot prizes
- The age groups will be under 13,14, 15, 16, 17, 18 years & over years (at school), open, vet 35, 45, 55 years (age groups will be taken on the day)
- Mitta Challenge River Race and dinner at the Mitta Hotel: $50. Additionally, if you wish to participate in the Monday events (School, Clubs & Community Event) entry for this will be half price at $20.
- Community FUN Paddle: $10 per person or $30 per family
- Australian Schools, Clubs & Community Groups – River Race & Rapid Sprints (4 events): $40 entry per person.
- Families with multiple members a 50% discount for each additional person applies – therefore if 2 people then total price will be $60, for 3 the total price will be $80.
For more information visit: https://wildwater.paddle.org.au/