This session will demonstrate the large component that ball skills, with the hand, has in canoe polo. Most of the skills will not be mastered in this session but it will open up a great doorway to future experimentation and development of skills with the ball. Most of this session is best done in pairs if there is enough balls.
PICKING THE BALL UP OFF THE WATER
Stationary and in motion, dribble brace, dribbling.
Drills 1. Basic picks up using left and right hands
2. Pick up in motion. Group of three shuttle relay 10 metres apart. Player at the front of the group of two starts with ball and throws to the middle. Paddles at full speed and picks the ball up and passes to third player. Continue.
3. Maximum distance with a dribble brace keeping the kayak straight.
4. Shuttle relay with dribbling with the whole group.
ALL PASSES- STATIONARY (RIGHT AND LEFT)
Baseball, Lobs, Double Handers, Round arms, peripheral vision passing, Behind the back.
Drill- Pairs or a circle as required.
ALL PASSES- IN MOTION
Moderate looping passes easy to catch, catching with one hand, using the body as a second hand for control keeping the kayak running straight , quick release of the ball after catching, use of the dribble brace.
Drill- Triangles, Squares, Staggers, Southern Cross.
Curve ball, screw Ball, change up
Drill- Pairs if group is capable.
Types – double handed, round arms, look aways.
Timing – Early to avoid intercept, as opponent tackles.
Location – over the head, Over the shoulders, bounce passes (risky).
Drills- Piggy in the middle, spare player drills, 3v2, 4v3, 5v4. Piggy in the middle in motion- Two players move up the field approximately 5 metres apart with pig chasing the ball.
Over the head game- 3v3 or 4v4, A team attempts to throw passes over the head and shoulders of the opposition. All players in general motion. Keep a score and the winner is the first to 10.
Hard Balls – thumb positioning – closer together the harder the throw.
Single handed – technique opposite to throwing.
Kayak angle, shooting brace, dummy shots, body fake, double handers, cross goal round arm, flick shot, paddle shot, paddle shot with fake, alley-oop forwards, alley-oop backwards, cocky shot, rebounding (defensively and offensively)
Goal approach- 1. Threaten the goal
2. Use vision to see if team mate is in a better position.
3. Snap an assist pass.
4. If you are in the best position take the shot and make it a good one.
Drill- 1. Basic shooting drill ball thrown in the water
2. Basic shooting drill with ball thrown to hands.
3. Shooting drill with a defender on the outside
4. Shooting drill with a defender on the inside
5. Shooting drill with an extra defender in front of the goalie and two drivers
6. Shooting drill with 2 defenders and 3 drivers.
7. Offensive rebounding drill- Two players face goal, third player throws an easy shot at the goal, the goalie hits it down to attackers, attempt a quick rebound shot.
8. Defensive rebounding drill- Two players face away from goal, drill as for offensive rebounding drill. Players attempt to gain possession of the ball.
OPTIONAL EXTRAS FOR INDOORS
Using the buoyancy of the ball as a brace on a hand tackle.
Rolling on the ball, Upside down passing, quick double handed passing after rolling to avoid 5 seconds call, team mate positioning.
COMMITMENT IN GENERAL PLAY
Diving on the ball, Upside down passing, Rolling with the ball.
BALL PICK UP.
1) Lead with the elbow when picking the ball up, not the wrist.