Dear Wildwater Canoeing Community,
2022 PA Wildwater Selection Competition
On behalf of the Paddle Australia Canoe Wildwater Technical Committee (PACWTC), Paddle Australia (PA) wish to advise that the 2022 PA Wildwater Canoeing competition that was scheduled to be held in Penrith NSW from Saturday 5th to Sunday 6th February will no longer be going ahead.
The reasons considered when making this difficult decision included:
- the very low number of current entries to the event
- the difficulties with the high-water levels at the Nepean river from the rain and water being released from the Warragamba Dam
- the high-water levels have a safety and risk implication for the classic course to both participants, officials and safety personnel
- in addition, last Thursday it was announced by the WA Premier a hard border will remain in place and there will be no opening as planned on Saturday the 5th of February.
Selection to the 2022 Paddle Australia National Teams
The selection of the Junior, U23 and Senior Teams will now be in line with the Selection Criteria Supplement (SCS) under section 2. Selection Procedures, clause 2.4.2 to 2.4.6. inclusive. Please read all information in the selection documentation. A reminder to be eligible for selection to a 2022 National Team, athletes must comply with the PA Selection Procedures Policy in particular clause 6, Eligibility.
- PA Selection Procedures Policy CLICK HERE
- 2022 PA Junior and U23 Wildwater Selection Criteria Supplement CLICK HERE
- 2022 PA Senior Wildwater Canoeing Selection Criteria Supplement CLICK HERE
The selection nomination, including the time trials in clause 2.4.2 and other requirements as outlined in the SCS, must be completed and relevant evidence provided by the extended date of Friday 18th February.
ICF 2022 Competition Calendar and National Team Tour Information
As previously published the 2022 ICF Wildwater Canoeing World Championships are being held from the 2nd to 5th of June 2022 in Treignac, France. Last week PA was contacted by the ICF to confirm there will be no 2022 ICF Wildwater Canoeing Junior/U23 World Championships. The ICF World Championships for the Junior/U23 will return in 2023 with the location to be decided in March.
With this decision of the ICF the PACWTC are calling for expressions of interest (EOI) for a 2022 Junior/U23 development tour for this years selected National Team to a European event to be determined. Considerations are being given to an ECA Cup in Valtellina Italy from the 25th to 26th of June, or ECA Cup in Mezzana Italy from the 2nd to 3rd of July. The proposal is for a 2 – 3 week tour that provides racing and training development on European Wildwater rivers. Please send all EOI to email firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 18th February latest.
PA wishes everyone to stay safe, keep paddling, and look after your friends and family.
Regards in paddling,