National Team: U23
Hometown: Melbourne, VIC
Residence: Penrith, NSW
Club: Penrith Valley Canoe Club & Melbourne Canoe Club
Coach: Emir Mujcinovic
Nickname: K or Bassett
Education / current occupation: Construction Management at RMIT University and Kitchen Steward
Started paddling age: 16-17
- How did you get into paddling and when? I got into paddling when I travelled to Penrith with my younger brother who was racing at Nationals in 2014. After watching people on the Penrith whitewater, I was interested so when i returned home I joined the Ivanhoe Grammar school team and started learning it
- What has been your biggest accomplishment in the sport so far? Making my first national team/squad of any kind this year (2020) has been a bit accomplishment for me.
- What keeps you busy outside of paddling? Between juggling part time work and studies I am usually pretty busy.
- Greatest influence on your career? Starting on the Yarra river in Melbourne and being able to train with and be coached by (triple Olympian) Warwick Draper in most sessions, he was definitely a big influence. The group of paddlers in Melbourne definitely reinforced that paddling is about having fun as much as it is about being competitive. Often someone would do a move a certain way or set a hard move and we were pushing each other to get better all while having fun and building confidence.
- Who inspires you? Michael Martikan (Slovakian Olympic Champion). Being so competitive and so smooth for so many years even through regulation changes and being at the peak is really impressive. He really managed to influence a lot of paddlers into a real smooth style and is still the bench mark comparison for many. Jess (Fox) is also someone who is inspiring to me. Her results and accomplishments alone stand for themselves but what she has been able to achieve off the water is the most impressive part.
- How would your best friend describe you? Well balanced, down to earth person.
- What scares you the most? Definitely the feeling I’ve forgotten to do something when I’m in bed going to sleep
- Superstitions before a race? I try to keep things very light and casual before races so i enjoy talking and relaxing. However I will splash some water in my face and make sure i am focused on the basics when I am on the starting blocks
- Favourite place to paddle? I greatly enjoy paddling here in Penrith its a very balanced course but aside from that I think Bratislava (SVK) and Pau (FRA) would be some of my favourites.
- Favourite song to paddle to? Honestly Ill be singing a different song every session.
- Favourite holiday destination? Somewhere with sunshine and a pool/beach
- On your day off… relaxing at home or off on an adventure somewhere