Name: Yasemin Ray
Club: Bayswater Paddlesports Club
Coach: Ramon Andersson
- How did you get into paddling?
As a child we went on a couple of overnight kayak tours in New Zealand which I loved. So when we moved house near a kayak club, I decided to sign up.
- What has been your biggest accomplishment in the sport so far?
Making the Junior team in my first year of U18.
- What keeps you busy outside of paddling? What is your current occupation and/or university degree?
I am currently in my final year at school. My subjects include Maths, English, Physical Education Studies, Psychology and Chemistry.
- Who has been the greatest influence on your career?
All the amazing coaches I have had. I honestly don’t think I would still be in the sport without them.
- How would your best friend describe you? I am very relaxed and happy to go with the flow.
- Do you have any superstitions before a race?
Before I get onto the water, I listen to music to get me into the zone. Then as I go into the gate to start a race, I splash my paddle down on the water 3 times and adjust my hat.
- What is your favourite course to paddle on?
I would have to say my home course, Champion Lakes. It is a fast course and holds many PBs. In training, my favourite place that I have paddled is Lake Bohinj. It is a pristine, crystal clear lake in the mountains of Slovenia.
- Previous National Teams:
Olympic Hopes 2016/17, Asia Pacific 2018, Junior World Championships 2018